Bicycles!

Hello, it’s been a while!

To be completely honest, I’ve kinda stopped cycling. 😐 The thumb injury killed all that momentum, and while I was out of commission I found myself missing riding my bike, but not so much looking forward to ramping up intentional training in order to get better at it. Just thinking about scheduling specific kinds of riding for specific days—intervals, zone 2, etc.—made it feel like a chore, and I just wanted to enjoy pedaling around. I think I recognized that for me turning cycling into primary exercise has the effect of taking the joy out of it. Yes, I could just take it easy and enjoy it, but this whole time I’ve felt like I wanted to do more. Progress has been slow without intensity and variety.

So instead I joined a CrossFit gym again. 😂 I’ve been going for three weeks now and just about right away it felt like home. CrossFit is something I’ve only ever done for exercise and with intensity, so it feels like an appropriate activity into which to channel that kind of effort, and cycling can be just a hobby.

The weekend before my first workout back I actually rode to the gym to scope out the route. It has more traffic and homelessness than I’d like, so I don’t know that I’ll ever ride to the gym, but it might happen eventually.

View attachment 3572529

A week later a friend and I went to a car show, then rode our bikes and found another car show during the ride. It was a good time and I look forward to doing more stuff like that in the future.

View attachment 3572530

And as for all my grand ideas about riding Unbound and what have you? That’ll have to wait. CrossFit provides me with fantastic high intensity training, but it means cycling is taking a back seat for sure. I don’t see myself doing big rides for a little while, to avoid burning myself out for the gym. Whatever fitness I gain and weight I lose at the gym, though, will come in handy on two wheels, so I very much anticipate my ability will rise even without intentionally pedaling for it. I’d still like to do some cool big things, like a century and bigger gravel adventures, and we’ll see what the future brings.

And yes, I’m most definitely feeling some buyer’s remorse about the bike and all the farkles. But hey, when I was buying all that crap I had no other plans, so it is what it is. I doubt I’ll ride so little that I’ll truly want to sell it. I think I’ll be happy if I go for some fun rides and even use it as transportation occasionally.
This reads like a CrossFit sponsorship segment lmao

on a serious note tho, fair enough for recognising when something just isn't working anymore, hope that CrossFit fills the gap, and has a favourable sponsorship agreement

This reads like a CrossFit sponsorship segment lmao

hope that CrossFit […] has a favourable sponsorship agreement

If only! 😂