The Positivity Thread aka "Today was a great day because....."

huh, see and I was afraid that was supposed to be an elaborate in-your-end-o! :p

Well, it was until I changed "do" to "sharpen". ;)

IIRC the steel only helps to either straighten (if pushed flat from usage) or break (if freshly sanded) the burr that forms on the blade, it doesn't actually sand away any (meaningful) material.

That's what I see when I use the steel, hence the question. I take off tiny amounts of material and the sharpening effect is as much to do with straightening the blade as it is with actual sharpening. So thanks for the idea for the brick, I'll probably have to pay the Kölner Kochhaus another visit... oh poor, dear me! :woot:

the more-expensive-but-still-aimed-at-amateurs kind of knives (think semi-pricy WMF, zwilling, wüsthof, whatever in the 60-100e range) are often made from rather hard steels (and aggresively marketed as such), which does make the sharpness of the blade last longer than with a softer steel, but also makes sharpening harder.

They are from the long discontinued "gourmet line". Think "grand gourmet" but with black plastic handles. They've been serving me well for the twenty years since I bought the block with knives and the later additions were no less good. There's some stuff from other manufacturers , too, but the WMF ones do get the most use.

There is basically a glorified book report, ~8-10 pages, due today for my history class. It was an assignment we were told about right from the start of the class a couple of months ago and we could have started reading the books at any time. 3 weeks ago, the teacher said that the assignment was getting bumped up from May 7th to today.

Today, 2 hours before class, seemingly most of the class is in panic mode and planning on staging some sort of protest about not being able to finish. 'I didn't get my book in time" "my laptop isn't working", "I couldn't find the book for 10 weeks and never tried picking a different one" etc.

And as I was getting the rapid-fire Discord audio notifications from the panicking group, sounding like a 1980s Atari game, I was clicking "send" on the submission for my completed paper to the teacher. 😅

I had to write half of it from the toilet on my phone in Google Docs since that's where I spend half of my day due to my acute and chronic colitis, and reading a nasty coffee-stained copy of the book from my local library to read along with a bootleg copy of the audiobook played at 150% speed (also mostly done from the toilet), I think it turned out pretty good.

3 months later, same deal.
Now I'm on 150€ and they're proposing 304€ because ... reasons?
Energy prices have gone down, my usage has stayed roughly the same (around1000 kWh/month pretty consistently)
Why are they doing this!
Well it's happened.

Due to them being late / wrong with suggesting monthly installments, I now have an invoice for 1300€. Because there was a time where my monthly installments were comically low and my mileage / energy use was exceptionally high....

No really a "positivity" thing, but at least I've learned my lesson now and I'll closely monitor my usage and adjust my monthly installment myself and not let some stupid bot / machine do this for me.

I love automation and letting things take care of themselves, but then again this is exactly what this system is supposed to prevent?