FG Fitness Challenge

I guess I should get a scale. Since sometime around Christmas last year, I was just at the 99kg point. I haven’t been less than 105kg for the last 11-12 years now. I have work pants that at the start of my current job in July, been at their max flex point which was 106cm or there abouts. Recently I’ve noticed I’m somewhere in the middle of the flex point. My belt hardly does anything anymore and my jeans can be taken off without unbuttoning with said belt. So I guess I need to go shopping for new pants and a belt…

What’s my secret? Uh, well I’m on average walking 7,900 steps per day, otherwise moving from America to Germany has seemed to cause an effect on its own. It’s not like I’ve really reduced my drinking habits, eating, probably? But I still buy the cheapest of whatever’s out there. I don’t buy organic stuff….

With this new job has me with bolts needing 41mm wrenches and a lot more actual hand work instead of just electrical diagnosing and programming, so that’s I think good too.

Well, weight hasn't changed much, maybe a couple more kilos lost, I'll get a scale eventually. Visually though, there is some difference? I still see Fat Chris.

1707325911867.jpeg
photo_2024-02-07_18-07-31.jpg

12 kilos between these photos.

I can see it in your cheeks. The ones on your face, I haven't checked the other ones. And your chin. In general, your face looks thinner. I'd say you're on a good track, whether it's on purpose or not.

I can see it in your cheeks. The ones on your face, I haven't checked the other ones. And your chin. In general, your face looks thinner. I'd say you're on a good track, whether it's on purpose or not.

It wasn’t at first, but I’ve had some influences lately that have made me want to change.

Looking good
Well, weight hasn't changed much, maybe a couple more kilos lost, I'll get a scale eventually. Visually though, there is some difference? I still see Fat Chris.

View attachment 3571784View attachment 3571785

12 kilos between these photos.
Looking good! As I´ve said a few times there´s a clear difference in everything from the old you.
As I said at least once last weekend. The "not seeing it" is a problem you´ll more than probably need to live with.

I think I have posted before about Wings for Life World Run and how I really rather like the format*. Social media brought to my attention that this year's edition is a mere 53 days away and I'm currently really not quite feeling in the running form I'd like to be in for that. Especially considering the goal I set for myself last year already, which I only fell a little short of (23.6 km).
1710314798761.png

* if it's not already clear from the screenshot: you start running and after 30 min a catcher-car starts following you, increasing its speed every so often, until it catches you - that's when you're done. there's mass-run-events all across the globe simultaneously (poor people in japan running at night...), but I will be doing it on my own via the app (which I prefer to the crowds anyway).

So I thought why not try the built-in half-marathon (close enough distance wise) training plan from my strava sub. it's no something you couldn't come up with yourself, with just a tiny bit of research, but why not make it easy on myself. also it takes 10 weeks, so I've already blown the first three of those. also this means I should increase my running from basically one run a week to at least 3 runs a week. ugh. also one "long run" every single week - which I'd really only done monthly, until now.
cycling time will suffer accordingly. mhm... will see how much fun this actually ends up being or whether I have the discipline to stick with it.
also, currently I'm still trying to get rid of a cold, so... err... yeah. let's see.

Well, I'm well ahead of my schedule of surpassing last year's mileage (kilometrage?) of cycling. Today I surpassed 4000 km of cycling in 2024. 😊

That said, it helped that I rode the Schokofahrt to Amsterdam and back in 9 days, that alone were pretty much exactly 1000 km (including delivering the chocolate to Lübeck after I got back home). That made March the best ever month for me with 1358 km.

1713116771773.png

I’m quite thrilled to be 8kg down since finmeet. Started going to the gym a fee weeks after that. Hate every minute and the german culture to greet everyone in the locker room doesnt help, but i go, because i have to.

I’m quite thrilled to be 8kg down since finmeet. Started going to the gym a fee weeks after that. Hate every minute and the german culture to greet everyone in the locker room doesnt help, but i go, because i have to.
Nicely done!
And in no time you´ll develop Stockholm syndrome to the whole thing. :D

Hate every minute and the german culture to greet everyone in the locker room doesnt help, but i go, because i have to.
And in no time you´ll develop Stockholm syndrome to the whole thing. :D
while the results may seem to speak for themselves... this is honestly something I don't get. I also hate gyms and thus simply stopped going after half a year or so. but I just tried to and succeeded in finding exercise that I actually do enjoy and that still fits in my day to day life. so have a very emphatic "No! you don't have to!". it's a thing, you know, other exercise that you may just enjoy... :| it doesn't have to be a gym - and I don't understand how these hellscapes seem to have become the single default option.

I run (zero entry hurdle, apart from a pair of shoes I guess), I bike (higher entry hurdle, but still...), I'd even swim if I didn't hate the fact that - like with a gym - I'll have to go someplace, get changed, then not enjoy my swim because of too many people, change again, go home... basically wasting at least 50% of my time.

my point: you shouldn't hate the sport that you do, you should enjoy it. even without Stockholm syndrome.

Id rather have Gothenburg syndrome. 😆

I use the gym because where i live literally stinks some days thanks to a sugar factory in town. Plus I already walk an average of 10,000 steps most days and have needed to increase fitness for a while and the weather is almost never clear enough when i have time. Im already cramming it into my schedule and thusly get even less/need more sleep than i currently get. Its just another thing one has to do. Id rather just go home and enjoy the evenings after work, but nooo, gotta work my body more. I’ve changed how i eat too, probably too much but i have seen results, so it works for me at the moment. I hate my body, so maybe through this ill learn to like it? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Last edited:
while the results may seem to speak for themselves... this is honestly something I don't get. I also hate gyms and thus simply stopped going after half a year or so. but I just tried to and succeeded in finding exercise that I actually do enjoy and that still fits in my day to day life. so have a very emphatic "No! you don't have to!". it's a thing, you know, other exercise that you may just enjoy... :| it doesn't have to be a gym - and I don't understand how these hellscapes seem to have become the single default option.

I run (zero entry hurdle, apart from a pair of shoes I guess), I bike (higher entry hurdle, but still...), I'd even swim if I didn't hate the fact that - like with a gym - I'll have to go someplace, get changed, then not enjoy my swim because of too many people, change again, go home... basically wasting at least 50% of my time.

my point: you shouldn't hate the sport that you do, you should enjoy it. even without Stockholm syndrome.
For me it´s not seriously hating it. It was more about finding what I´m able to do and keep doing. Even when it wasn´t the most pleasant experience at first realizing I'm not starting at 0, but more like at -467. I started from twice a week to going 3 to 4 times now. While I'm not always jumping from excitement and giddy, I do actually LIKE doing it and the Stockholm syndrome was again, just a joke. Seeing results is something the mind struggles with because of numerous factors. But that´s an other matter all together. The results do come with hard work and just showing up regularly. But mostly I know at least enough to know that the whole gym thing is just a part of the whole process for me.

I must to admit, I hated going to the gym. Not so much because it's tedious, but because it's boring and repetitive.

Still, I will need to do something about the weight I've put on, and I've put on some extra on top of what I'd already put a few months ago, to the point where I feel uncomfortable stepping on the scale.

I thought about running, as I don't really feel comfortable cycling in Zagreb, the infrastructure just sucks. (Even if I commute to work by bicycle when the weather's nice and I'm not too lazy.) Maybe it's time to do finally to the C25K challenge?

because it's boring and repetitive.
Oh that one’s also very true for running, apart from the same distractions you’re probably using at the gym (podcasts, music). But at least you (can) get a little change of scenery and fresh air on the process.
come to think of it, it’s been wie a while done I’ve actually felt bored on a run. Maybe that’s also the Stockholm 🙈

I generally don't get bored while running, unless I'm running 1.5km laps through a city centre. Music helps (every run is titled after the album I'm listening to for a reason), as does scenery. I do tend to get slightly bored when using the exercise bikes at the gym, but letting my mind wander and problemsolve all the things from work (so many times that a solution to a particularly pesky work conundrum came to me while working out, or out riding that I've started to use it), or chatting with some friends helps a lot. When doing the core and upper body stuff on the machines, I'm generally too busy (either moving weights or resting until the next series) to get bored.

letting my mind wander and problemsolve all the things from work
Working out and getting paid for it? 😜 nice!
… that is actually something I do any time I have pure one-way webinars or other online things that don’t require active input from my part. I’ll be on zwift, thank you very much!

I tried a few things after I realized that if I want to see 40 I need to change things. Landed on the gym. Considering I´m less than a month away from my milestone I set and I´m just about an equal amount of kg down from when I started I would say I made the correct choice for me. Even when I know that measurement is only a half truth.

There‘s a lot of things in my usual day that i don’t enjoy and only do because i have to.

Work - so i can do things i enjoy.
Shower - so i don‘t stink.
Eat - im so tired of having to think about what im eating and when/if i have time to make it.
Gym - so i stay somewhat healthy and maintain muscle
Overall chores - to keep apartment nice-ish
As of late, take care of dog - it was my choice to take my stray beagle in now i have to live with him, hes very attached to me and i question why.

I don‘t take joy in any of these things. I don’t enjoy any of them and are just things you do to not become unhealthy and disgusting or homeless.

I generally don't get bored while running, unless I'm running 1.5km laps through a city centre. Music helps (every run is titled after the album I'm listening to for a reason), as does scenery. I do tend to get slightly bored when using the exercise bikes at the gym, but letting my mind wander and problemsolve all the things from work (so many times that a solution to a particularly pesky work conundrum came to me while working out, or out riding that I've started to use it), or chatting with some friends helps a lot. When doing the core and upper body stuff on the machines, I'm generally too busy (either moving weights or resting until the next series) to get bored.
I would enjoy running much more if I didn't live in The City of The Seven Hills®, where it's uphill in every direction...

I'd enjoy that a lot more than the flatlands here. Then again, I am a sprinter, in addition to having a Sprinter. :mrgreen: